Monday, December 29, 2008

Rick Young's 'Rick at the Races' for Christmas 2008

Rick Young's Rick at the Races for Christmas 2008

PIC 1   A 1975 Brafield (UK) program scan that shows # 348 Tony Allen's light-weight BriSCA F1 he took to New Zealand when he emigrated.

PIC 2  The same light-weight stock car of Tony Allen ( now # 2) at the Waikaraka Park Speedway in Auckland NZ ( ANDRE REUTERMAN PHOTO)

PIC 3  Brian Holmes and his grandson Paul at the Westworld track in Cornwall (UK)

PIC 4   That's me sitting in Brian Holmes stock car during a visit back to the UK in 2000.

First of all let me wish you all a very happy and peaceful Christmas holiday , and to say a big thank you to all those who sent greetings.

We had three major snow storms hit Eastern Ontario over the past week, and it has guaranteed us a 'White Christmas'. The temperatures have been very low too ( nearly minus 30 centigrade, with the wind chill factor) . A bit chilly to say the least, but heh ! , we're Canadians, we can take it !

With a bit of luck the proposed ice racing events in Quebec and up-state NY should go ahead unhindered this season , but until they begin, I'll be confined to the warmth of home, sitting behind my PC.

The latest 'RETRO' report ( EPISODE 5) has now been added to www.rickattheraces.com

It deals with the year 1971 when I passed my driving test and became the owner of my first car. 1971 was the year that Lancashire's Doug Cronshaw # 396 won the BriSCA F1 World Final at Coventry and Dave Brown # 583 of Cornwall ( UK, not Ontario ! ) won the BriSCA F2 gold at Brafield. One of my long-time RICK @ the RACES recipients, Geoff Goddard # 294 , now residing in South Africa won the Superstox World Final at Wimbledon.

Following my latest 'RETRO' report Both Geoff and his son Kai have been in contact. Kai a racer now based in Phoenix AZ  has a new website www.kaigoddard.com.

He say's , << Please have a look, there is also some insight on Dad's Touring Car career. This Is not a solid deal yet, but we are planning to race together next year at Kyalami in an endurance race. It will be an emotional, exciting, awesome and long overdue experience. I will keep you posted on that .>>

That definitely is exciting news, I hope it happens Kai , and if it does please arrange for some pics for www.rickattheraces.com.

In last weeks RICK @ the RACES , I mentioned a contact I'd made with Gavin Evitt who is involved in collecting New Zealand stock car racing archives . I happened to mention to him that Tony Allen # 348 , one of my old buddies emigrated there over thirty years ago, and asked if he had any photos. Tony, who is mentioned in EPISODE 4 of the 'RETRO' report was one of the UK's top BriSCA F1 drivers and relocated to NZ in 1975. Just prior to his departure he built and raced a lightweight Jaguar engined car which was 'crated up' and taken with him to his new home. Thanks to Gavin, I have two photos ( taken by Andre Reuterman) of that very same car he raced both sides of the world ! . I've included one in the photo section.

One of my Christmas cards was from Brian Holmes, who is another name from the past, and mentioned in the latest 'RETRO' Report. I first met Brian in 1971 when I lived in the Totternhoe/Eaton Bray area of the UK. He was one of our local oval racers. He started Banger racing at Brafield in the late 1960's then progressed to BriSCA F2. Brian, now in his sixties, is still racing today alongside his grandson at the Westworld track in Cornwall (UK) near to his new home. Click on www.rickattheraces and check out Episode 5 of the 'RETRO' Report.


<<rickbh.jpg>> <<tony'sjag (Medium).jpg>> <<holmesy.jpg>> <<TAINNZ (Medium).JPG>>

No comments:

Post a Comment