Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Rick Young's Rick at the Races ... Nov. 22/08

RICK @ the RACES (22 NOV)

- TALL PINES RALLY , Bancroft, Ont
- CAPITAL CITY SPEEDWAY BANQUET, Ottawa, Ont.

PIC 1   Program scan from the 1968 London to Sydney Marathon

PIC  2  The London to Sydney Marathon winning Hillman Hunter at the 1969 London Racing Car Show

PIC  3   Paddy Hopkirk outside his car accesories warehouse in Leighton Buzzard UK

PIC  4   One of Paddy Hopkirks famous Rallying Mini's

PIC  5   Scan of the Tall Pines Rally program

PIC  6   Randy Zimmer in the paddock prior to the Tall Pines Rally at Bancroft

PIC  7   'ex Pat' Brit , Rick Williams with his Lotus Cotina

PIC  8    The # 1 Hyundai of  L'Estage/Richards leaves the podium as Bancroft's Mayor does his speech.

PIC  9   Action at the Iron Bridge

PIC  10  Rick Williams takes the Lotus Cortina accross the Iron Bridge

PIC  11  Tall Pine Rally winner Pat Richard and Alan Ockwells # Suburu

PIC  12   Capital City Speedway's 'Driver of the Year' Kevin Foisy celebrating one of his many victories.

Under normal circumstances, there's only one four o'clock in my day, and that's the one in the afternoon. The one in the morning, just doesn't excist ! This past weekend, things were different and I was out of bed at 4-00am, and not long after, was leaving Long Sault, heading south west on HWY 401. The reason for this early morning start was to catch the begining of the TALL PINES RALLY taking place in Bancroft , Ontario. When I moved to Canada from the UK in 1994 the first place I lived was Combermere on the banks of Lake Kamaneskeg between Bancroft and Barrys Bay. I don't get back that way very often so was looking forward to the trip

It's also been a while since I took a look at rallying, and the last time I witnessed a 'special stage' was back in the 1970's when the RAC RALLY took in a section of the Silverstone Circuit (UK) . As a school kid I was interested in most forms of auto sport, including rallying and remember following the progress of the 1968 London to Sydney Marathon that was won by Andrew Cowan (Coyle and Malkin) in a Hillman Hunter. My local stock car track promotor John Latrobe ( Brafield) and Chez Chesson ( the Lydden Hill Circuit owner) were competing in a Vovo 122S.

My early Rallying hero's were Eric Carlson in his Saab and Paddy Hopkirk in his Mini.. Let me digress for a moment .. Paddy a former Monte Carlo Rally winner, lived close to my parents place in Dunstable and after quitting competition, he set up his brand name car accessories business. Before retiring, my father worked for him, managing the parts warehouse. Parked in a corner amongst the inventory was one of Paddy's cars, which Dad had to move occasionally (when it got in the way !) Check out the photo section and see Paddy's Mini.

Back to the present day.

I arrived at the Rally headquarters in Bancroft soon after 8-30am  and already it was a hive of activity. I wandered around the paddock and met up with long time 'Rick @ the Races' recipient Randy Zimmer. I first met Randy from Buffalo NY at 'what is believed to be' the first Euro Style Rally Cross held in North America. For the benefit of readers in Europe and the rest of the world, let me explain. In North America, Rally Cross means a totaly different thing, it means one car racing against the clock, unlike the 'real thing' that involves four or more cars racing wheel to wheel. Randy was one of the competitors at that historic first ever 'Euro' style RallyCross , held on the grounds of the Glad Rag Speedway near Corinth . NY in 2006 . I also came across Randy at the Bertrand Fabi Circuit in Sherbrook Quebec, when he was competing in the annual Challenge Sur Glace. At Bancroft he was there with his Suburu # 10 with co driver Dave Shindle.

As I walked a bit further I spotted a really beautiful piece of nostalgia. In the historic class, a former 'Brit' (Lincoln) , Rick Williams had entered his classic mid sixties Lotus Ford Cortina. Also parked close by was another blast 'from the UK past' , a Ford Capri similar to one that I once owned.

After the drivers meeting, they all returned to their cars and following a brief welcoming speech by the Mayor of Bancroft set off at intervals from the podium start. At this point, I took off for one of the spectator vantage points scattered around the course. I chose a spot high on a banking that gave a good view of the cars negotiating the Iron Bridge. I stood there 'freezing my butt off' , clicking away with my camera and taking pics of most cars that went by, but one that I missed,  turned out to be another of my friends from the RICK @ the RACES mailing list. As the # 29 Mitsubishi went by I caught the name Fransisco P on the side window. It was former 358 Dirt Modified driver, and Portuguese buddy Fransisco Pereira from Etobicoke .Ont,  who I didn't realize was competing. After watching most of the field pass through the stage I drove back to Rally Headquarters, where the rally cars were heading, in the hope of catching Fransisco to say 'hi' and and wish him 'good luck'. I got there just as his # 29 Mitsubishi was heading out of the paddock to rejoin the competition. I'd missed him !

I was told by one of the officials the cars would be returning at 1-30 for a lunch break, so took this opportunity to grab a quick bite to eat in Bancroft before they returned. It was quite enjoyable riding around the town again, which was where I passed my Ontario Driving Test back in 1995.

I got back to Rally Headquarters in good time to catch the cars 'coming home for lunch', and the first one back was the Antione L'Estage and Nathalie Richard's Hyundai # 1,  followed by eventual winners Pat Richard and Alan Ockwell's # 2 Suburu. I was hoping to catch Fransisco, but as time passed by his car didn't appear. I wandered in to the paddock and chatted with his crew who told me he was parked up on the course somewhere with fuel line problems and service truck was on its way out to him.

By now it was 2-30pm and I had another important engagement to attend that day. I had to be at Capital City Speedway Banquet in the evening , so said good-bye to Bancroft and headed back towards Ottawa. I later found out that Randy Zimmer came home seventh. Well done Randy !

It was a tight schedule, but I managed to change into my 'posh clothes' in the Carleton Place , Walmart car park before arriving at the Talisman Travel Lodge on Carling Ave in Ottawa soon after 6-00pm. Tonight was the night that the 2008 track awards were being presented and I was there to snap the pictures.

Check out the Photo Gallery on www.rickattheraces.com to see them all . All the division winners were there, with Legend driver Kevin Foisey collecting a special award for 'Driver of the Year' . I can't remember the exact figures, but I think Kevin won seven out of ten Features in 2008. I must say I really enjoyed the banquet, the food and the company were excellent. I had a good chance to chat to many of the new friends I made at the CCS this year and hope to see them all again in 2009.

<<LTOS (Medium).jpg>> <<hunter.jpg>> <<paddy (Small).jpg>> <<paddyh (Small).jpg>> <<pines_(Small).jpg>> <<2008_1023Image0012 (Small).JPG>> <<2008_1023Image0009 (Small).JPG>> <<2008_1023Image0019 (Small).JPG>> <<2008_1023Image0074 (Small).JPG>> <<2008_1023Image0079 (Small).JPG>> <<2008_1023Image0084 (Medium) (Small).JPG>> <<2008_0728Image0261 (Small).jpg>>

No comments:

Post a Comment