Friday, February 22, 2008

NASCAR: Mother Natures Sends Carpentier Packing

Rain washed out practice and qualifying for the Auto Club 500 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at California Speedway. Carpentier, driving the No. 10 Charter Dodge, was the only rookie left on the outside looking in as officials went to the rulebook to set the 43-car field.

“I’ll tell you now I don’t agree with that rule of top-35 anymore too much," Carpentier said, a smile on his face. "It puts us behind a little bit and for us we were kind of banking on these tracks because we tested here, the first three (tracks) and after that we go to tracks that we haven’t tested at. I said that I knew it was going to be a challenge but I didn’t think it was going to be that big of a challenge. We’ll see. For me, I firmly believe that we’re going to get out of it, going to come back in top-35 but it’s going to take time.”

Scott Riggs battled bravely to put the team in the top-35 last year, but came up short in his efforts before leaving Gillette/Evernham Motorsports. Carpentier is toiling under those efforts through the first five races of the season. Missing the first two events simply puts the affable Canadian that much further behind.

"It’s frustrating," he said when asked. "Like I said to the guys, I think I’m going to start hitchhiking and get a ride for the race so at least I feel what it is. It’s just a rough day for Charter and we had a new sponsor this weekend again so for us it’s tough. You cannot even fight it, you know, so you cannot even try to get in so you just come, you leave. So that’s what's the sad part about it. You know if at least if you give it a shot and you don’t make it you gave it a shot.”

Rain washed away any possibility of Carpentier driving his way into the field. Not having the chance to at least try after sitting through seven hours of track drying, when it wasn't raining, only adds to the frustration level.

“Yeah, it was like they had a couple of guys go look at the track and see if it was okay. That’s what we were talking about. Maybe they should have a couple of go or go homers go look at the track and see if it’s okay [laughter]. It’s sad. All these guys that keep running and running and for me I don’t get track time either. It’s kind of a catch-22. But we’ll do some testing Monday and Tuesday. I’m going to go down to North Carolina and we’re going to test at Rockingham and get back to Vegas.”

No comments:

Post a Comment