Tuesday, February 19, 2008

RICK @ the RACES... Rick Young at the Ice Races (Feb. 16-17, 2008)

By Rick Young
 
This week, one year ago, I was down in Florida on a racing tour, where I bagged five new tracks in the space of three days. (Orlando Speedworld, Volusia, Daytona, New Smyrna, and East Bay.)
 
Although it was tempting to do it again this year, it was financial 'no go', so for me it's been 'business as usual' visiting the ice racing tracks of Canada. After a slow start to the ice racing season, because of warmer than normal temperatures, this weekend I had the chance to add two new local tracks to my TRACKCHASING totals.
 
For about three years, I've been trying to add Kahnawake (Quebec) to my list and this Saturday (16 Feb), I eventually succeeded. To make things more challenging, I had to attend a mandatory safety meeting at work in the morning, before I could set off to the track, located on the Kahnawake Mowhawk reservation between Montreal and Chateauguay.
 
As things worked out, I arrived at the perfect time (12:15 pm ) just as the racing was about to start. The races were organized by the CMRC, the same body that were behind similar events I've attended in the past at Ste Sulpice and Laviltree. The track was a road course configuration and featured motorcycles, ATV's and 4 cylinder compact cars.
 
This was TRACK # 168 on my TRACKCHASING totals
 
On Sunday (17 Feb) I visited the small town of Clarence Creek (Ontario), just a 30 minute drive from my home in Maxville for an annual event I only recently found out about.
 
Amazingly, ice racing has taken place every year at the nearby Clarence Creek Winter Carnival and I've known nothing about it!  Once I'd confirmed the details, I wanted to be there. I also passed the details on to my TRACKCHASING friends and as a result I was joined at the track by seven of the worlds top TRACKCHASERS.
 
The World�s # 1, Randy Lewis and his wife Carol from San Clemente, California, Guy Smith, Will White, Mike Knappenberger and Paul Weisel who are all from the Philadelphia area of Pennsylvania and PJ Hollerbrand of Rochester, New York.
 
The track was a frozen snow covered oval located at the rear of the town�s hockey arena and on arrival I found a pits full of 'enduro' style cars. The program started with races for the ladies, then moved on to the guys. Each race had about eight cars, which was just enough to provide some action. The second race had to be red flagged after one lady 'rolled it'.
 
This was TRACK # 169 on my TRACKCHASING totals
 
After watching about an hour of the action, I was back behind the wheel of my car, and on my way to the next race on my agenda. I was heading for my couch, back home in Maxville to watch the Daytona 500 on TV.
 
Although, Dirt is my preferred diet of racing, I must admit that since visiting Daytona last year I've been paying a little more attention to the NASCAR scene. After seeing this years coverage on TV, I have to say how impressed I've been with the 'COT' (the 'Car of Tomorrow' which is now the 'Car of Today'). First impressions seam to indicate it's going to provide a lot closer racing, with packs of cars circulating side by side, just how I remember it on TV in the distant past.
 
America's biggest race had plenty of action with a conclusion that could not have been predicted. It was a great finish for Ryan Newman # 12 who blasted past Tony Stewart # 20 on the last lap with the help of his drafting and pushing Penske Team mate Kurt Busch # 2.
 
RACES ATTENDED IN 2008
1 JAN 19        ARENA ESSEX (Thurrock UK)
2 JAN 27        LAC MORIN, Notre Dame De Mont Carmel (Que)
3 JAN 27        ST EULALIE (Que)
4   FEB 16      KAHNAWAKE (Que)
5  FEB   17     CLARENCE CREEK (Ont)
 
TRACKCHASER... The official website of the TRACKCHASERS. My current track list totals can be seen here. Go to www.trackchaser.net and click on Rick Young.

No comments:

Post a Comment