Monday, April 28, 2008

World Challenge : Kuno Wittmer claims maiden win and leads championship

Alton, Virginia - Kuno Wittmer stayed out of the trouble around him and drove flawless to his first World Challenge victory on the VIRginia International Raceway in his #44 Realtime Acura. Starting from third place on the grid, the 25-year old Montreal native was in second spot by the first corner of the 3.26 mile facility. For eleven laps, Wittmer kept pressuring race leader and pole sitter Chip Herr until he braked too late coming into a corner. At the same time Kleinubing took control of the race and Wittmer was still in hot pursuit. When his teammate went slightly off course, he claimed the lead with three laps remaining and managed to hold off a charging Seth Thomas to score his first World Challenge victory and take the lead in the current standings.
 
"I witnessed a lot of action around me but kept my nose clean until the stripe, cheered Wittmer. I put a lot of pressure on Chip (Herr) in the opening laps: he was very strong but I kept coming at him in the braking zones. And then he made the mistake that set him back. Meanwhile, Pierre (Kleinubing) was running hard behind me: when I slowed down to avoid Herr, he was right inside me and in the lead. I had to start over again until he went wide in a corner and gave me the lead. The track was damp in some areas and I had to hold off Seth (Thomas) in the final laps. He was very quick but I kept braking very deep into the corners to stay ahead. I got the checker by only 0,090 second but that will go down into the books as a win no matter what. I have to thank the Realtime Acura crew that gave me a well balanced car all week. We increase our lead for the manufacturers' title and I jump atop the season standings. We still have a long way to go and I must earn as much points in every round but it feels pretty good to be in first place at this point
 
Next rounds in Utah and Connecticut: Kuno Wittmer will take to the track next time in Tooele, Utah for the 3rd round of the World Challenge on May 16. "This is one of my favorite tracks, he says. Very technical and not allowing any mistakes." The week after, Kunick Autosport will be busy with brothers Kuno and Nick entering the Grand Am Koni Challenge in Lime Rock. "I've got a crazy schedule for the Memorial weekend, adds Kuno. Two rounds in the World Challenge, a Koni Challenge ST race and now a GS race with Kurt Koosman. There is no race on Sunday in Lime Rock and I'll be resting!"

From Michel Poirier-Defoy

No comments:

Post a Comment